Re: Truly stupid menu seting

High,

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002, stan wrote:

> ON the default woody install, one of the Gnome menu picks is :IDE setup
> tool". Trying to run this as a suer results in the message that you need
> to be root to run it. Cool.
>
> Trying to login as root using gdm is not allowed.
>
> Can anyone explain what the **k somebody was thinking when tehy set
> this up!

They were thinking very well: a normal user should not have access to
hardware drivers and running X as root is very NOT recommended. The path
you have to follow is very simple. Just as every other root task you
should log in as an ordinary user, open an xterm and su to root. Then
perform your tasks and leave the superuser environment. It's really the
safest.

For X apps you have to allow root to open windows, so:
- log in as a normal user
- open an xterm
$ xhost +	(gives other users/hosts authorization to open windows)
$ su
<give root password>
# myidesetuptool
# exit
$ xhost -

That's all. Why this is in the menu I have no idea: I do not use gnome.
Just figure out what the application is and do as described above.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan