Printing: CUPS, foomatic, hpoj and HP OfficeJet G85

  I'm trying to print to my HP OfficeJet G85. I figured I could just use
  the CUPS web interface to install the printer, but didn't find it
  listed there.

  I was able to configure the printer with the following:

    lpadmin -p lp -E -v parallel:/dev/ptal-printd/mlc_par_0
    -m deskjet.ppd

  Note that the connectivity is provided by the hpoj package, so instead
  of /dev/lp0, one uses /dev/ptal-printd/mlc_par_0.

  Question 1: How do you specify a different device in the web
  interface?)

  However, the deskjet driver is pretty basic (read: poor image quality)
  and doesn't provide double-sided printing. I believe the best driver
  currently available for this printer is the cdj970 (correct me if I'm
  wrong).

  Now, I see this:

    /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/driver/cdj970.xml

  I also see cdj970 in the output of "gs -h." So, the driver is
  available, but there isn't any ppd file for it, which CUPS seems to
  need.

  Question 2: How can I configure CUPS to use this driver?

  The cupsomatic-ppd package says that new installations should use the
  foomatic packages, which I have done, but it appears that CUPS isn't
  using it. Or do I first have to run some foomatic program manually to
  generate a ppd file for the cdj970 for CUPS to use?

  Thanks. I've been reading docs and scripts like mad, but haven't been
  able to put the pieces together.

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!