Re: Massive issues with WMaker and X

--- Manoj Mathew <vmathew@iprimus.com.au> wrote:

> Do you have the package 'menu' installed?
>
> mvm.
>
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 01:42:56PM -0800, Jonathan
> Ard wrote:
> >
> > Ok, so I am having some major issues with Window
> Maker.  When I start it
> > up, it tells me it can't load the Applications
> Menu, and that I should
> > check the output in the terminal to see what the
> problem is.
> > Unfortunately, I am running wdm, so I don't have a
> terminal to look at.
> > So, I stopped wdm, and tried to start X manually.
> For some reason, it
> > doesn't work.  The screen blinks a few times then
> it just comes back to
> > the terminal.  Looked in the log file for X and it
> doesn't seem to have
> > encountered any errors.
<<SNIP>>

I had this problem after doing an apt-get dist-upgrade
on Friday. I do use startx rather than gdm, xdm, wdm,
etc. I saw an error stating that /usr/bin/cpp couldn't
be found on the terminal I had started X from in X 's
output. I went and looked and sure enough, no cpp, but
cpp-2.95 and cpp-3.0. I created a symlink to cpp-2.95,
restarted Windowmaker, and got my application menu back.

=====
rascharles@yahoo.com
Hacking is a "Good Thing!"
See http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html