SoundBlaster 128

Hi
    I am trying to get my sound blaster 128 card to work with debian woody.
In the /etc/modules file i have put es1371 the name of the required kernel
module, by doing this I can play sound, is there anything else i should put
in the /etc/modules file? What i am trying to do that doesn;'t work is get
eh ALSA driver to work, i use alsaconf to configure it for my sound card but
when ever i try and start it i get the error "modprobe: Can't locate module
snd failed" why do i get this? the module snd doens't seem to exist. I am
running kernel version 2.4.16-k7.

Thankyou

Charlie