Re: PS/2 (/dev/psaux) is not working on Woody with Kernel 2.2.20

on Wed, Mar 06, 2002, Jan H. van Gils (JanVG@Knoware.NL) wrote:

> 	Hi,
>
> Thanks for reading message.
>
> After installing my Laptop (Dell Inspiron 3200) with Debian Woody
> I am not able to use my /dev/psaux (PS/2 mouse).
>
> The system was running NetBSD this morning and de mouse was
> functioning with no problems. (The NetBSD was a XFree 4.1.x)
> To be shore a swapped the mouse with a different one and had
> the same problem.
>
> Here is a cat from /proc/misc
>  63 irda
> 135 rtc
>   1 psaux
>
> Here is one from /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:      11638          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:          6          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   3:        315          XT-PIC  serial
>   8:          3          XT-PIC  rtc
>   9:        175          XT-PIC  3c574_cs
>  11:          4          XT-PIC  i82365
>  13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
>  14:      71053          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:         10          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
>
> I am not running gpm and here is a part of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>         Driver          "mouse"
>         Option          "CorePointer"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "PS/2"
>         Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
>         Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
> EndSection
>
> Are there any known issues with the PS/2 mouse and Woody ?

  * Do you have mouse support compiled in or installed if compiled as a
    module?  Look at /proc/modules or check dmesg output for "Detected
    PS/2 Mouse Port".

  * Is the device file properly created, and not just a regular text
    file created named psaux.  Device files are actually based on the
    major and minor node values, not the name of the file, and if
    improperly configured won't work.  "$ MAKEDEV <device file>" will
    create the file properly.

  * Have you tried reading raw output from /dev/psaux?  As root:

	$ cat /dev/psaux
	< wiggle mouse, click buttons >
	<ctrl>-C to quit

...you should see garbage on your screen.  Nothing there indicates a
problem, I'd check the above two issues.

Peace.