Re: How to share cable connection ?

On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 10:37, Thomas Graham wrote:
> hey, I am wonder how can I share my cable connection
> to two PCs using debian ?
> ipmasq using fix LAN ip, which is I do not like.
> is it possible to use DHCP server to share cable
> connection to LAN ?

What you ask (using static IPs) happens _all_ the time.

Why not use fixed IPs in your internal LAN?  Have a laptop that
you travel with?

What I would do is set up 1 PC with 2 NICs.  eth0 goes to the
cable modem, and eth1 (IP = 192.168.1.1) goes to your hub.

On 2nd PC, it's eth0 (IP = 192.168.1.2) also is plugged into the
hub.  It's gateway route must be 192.168.1.1.

You'll need firewall (either ipchains or iptables) on machine #1's
eth0 that also ipmasqs machine #2.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements  |
|  and make them into big productions."                      |
|     Pitr Dubovitch                                         |