Re: telnetd prompt

On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 08:55, Jens Müller wrote:
> David Jardine <jardine@tesionmail.de> writes:
>
> > > jens@debian:~$ telnet localhost
> > > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > > Connected to localhost.
> > > Escape character is '^]'.
> > > Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 kundenserver.de
> > > debian.enode.de login:
> > >
> > > I have no idea where the kundenserver.de comes from. Can anyone help
> > > me?
> >
> > Well, I've certainly seen it here, but I've just grepped my
> > latest syslog and exim log and not found it.  I think it was
> > connected with an ISP - einsundeins, perhaps.  But I've no
> > idea how it got where you found it.
>
> Schlund is owner of kundenserver.de, yes, but I really don't know how
> MY telnetd could put it in its prompt.

Maybe from /etc/resolv.conf.  Since my IP address is given by a
DHCP client, the DHCP client also generates /etc/resolv.conf, and
it specifies my ISP in the "search" clause.

For example:
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search no.cox.net
nameserver 68.11.16.30
nameserver 68.1.208.30

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements  |
|  and make them into big productions."                      |
|     Pitr Dubovitch                                         |