Re: Debian install for beginners?

Brian Nelson wrote:

> Simon Hepburn <sth@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> > Brian Nelson wrote:
> > > Those old (FX chipset?) motherboards only have a cacheable area of
> > > 64MB, so using more than 64MB can actually reduce performance, though I
> > > think this effect would be less significant on Linux.
> >
> > That would be the TX chipset. I dont think that the FX,VX Chipsets had
> > this limitation.
>
> All the triton boards except the HX had a cacheable limit of 64MB.

The problem with these chipsets in their day was that linux 2.2 had pretty
simple memory management - it just loaded as high as possible, regardless of
whether the memory was cacheable or not. Does anyone know what the state of
play is with 2.4 ? Is the memory management smart enough to always use cached
ram in preference to uncached ram?

--
Simon Hepburn.