LDAP+NIS w/PAM question

I wanted to know if this was possible. I thought I had
it working before but I think I had not updated the NIS
mappings ..

I have a NIS server, and an LDAP server, both have
the same userids, but both have different passwords.

I want to be able to authenticate off of LDAP or NIS.
The problem seems to be in nsswitch.conf. If I have
it set to 'compat ldap' then people using LDAP(that
have a NIS account) do not appear to be able to
login, if i use 'ldap compat' its the other way around.

The only service i am using with LDAP on this machine
is cyrus, my /etc/pam.d/cyrus is:

# PAM configurtion file for Cyrus pwcheck

auth		sufficient		pam_ldap.so
auth		required		pam_unix.so nullok
account	sufficient		pam_ldap.so
account	required		pam_unix.so

I am running potato, with openldap 2.0.23 from woody.

I thought I had it working before by hcanging my password
on the NIS server, but I probably didn't update the NIS
mappings so it appeared that it was working when the
passwords were just out of synch.

is there a way around this ? I'm not a PAM or LDAP
expert ...(but I'm learnin)

thanks

nate