Re: Modules suddenly missing

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 02:37:06PM +1100, Graham Williams wrote:
> About a week ago I updated a Debian box, running a custom kernel
> 2.4.16, with a dist-upgrade in unstable (it's been running unstable
> for a long time, and this just brought it up to date).
>
> On the next reboot (a few days later) things started breaking! In
> particular nfs, audio, and cdrom and cdrw access.  I think I've
> tracked the problems to the appropriate kernel modules not being
> loaded? Why would a dist-upgrade cause this? I can add nfs, and nfsd
> to /etc/modules and NFS is working again. I can add i810_audio and
> audio is up agian. Also isofs, ide-cd, ide-probe-disk, and ide-disk
> get CDROM going again.  I've failed so far to get the CD-RW working
> again:

A couple of times this has happened to me. Both times the problem was
between the keyboard and the seat.

Both times I had manually loaded modules, didn't update /etc/modules or
files in /etc/modutils, forgot about it and then rebooted.

A few other possibilities:

If you updated modutils, you may have inadvertently replaced
configuration files in /etc/modutils.

Since you are using ide-scsi, you may need to load sr-mod. Your cdrw
may now be on /dev/sr0.

If you have mounted devfs on /dev, you need to have sr-mod loaded, and
your cdrw will now be found on /dev/cdrom.

Hope this helps.

--
Jerome