Re: apt-get build-deps <package> or -b switch

On 7 Mar 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:

> How can I capture the output of ./configure and make during a source
> build with apt-get -b source <package>
>
> I think there might be a small bug in the building of emacs21 that
> way.  The info flew by so quick but I noticed a `no' during
> ./configure that I think was prompted by a missing library
> `libungif4-dev'.
>
> I think that was supposed to be grabbed with
>   apt-get build-deps emacs21
> But it wasn't maybe.  I'd like to rerun the ./configure  and trace it
> down.

That should be apt-get build-dep emacs21

Here are several suggestions (some of these may not work; try them and
see).

1) Run this inside konsole. You can easily customise the number of lines
you can scroll back.

2) Run it inside an emacs buffer. You can do M-x shell or M-x eshell. Here
scrolling back is trivial.

3) Do

nohup apt-get build-dep emacs21
# This will write everything to a file

or

apt-get build-deps emacs21 | less
# This will only send standard output, not standard error to the less
buffer.

or

apt-get build-dep emacs21 > filename
This will only send standard output, not standard error to the file.

but these all have to run in batch mode (noninteractive).

                                                         Faheem.