re php4 & php4-mysql install worries

Hello, I'm trying to verify php4 and php4-mysql were installed 'and'
configured correctly but don't know how to 'verify' that's true.  Below
is an excerpt from /etc/php4/apache/php.ini which says

In order for PHP to
; read it, it must be named 'php.ini'.  PHP looks for it in the current
; working directory, in the path designated by the environment variable
; PHPRC, and in the path that was defined in compile time (in that
order).

Ok, 'but' the php.ini file was not created upon install-- the excerpt
and file are from another server so is there a problem with the config.

dpkg -l | grep php4 and php4-mysql show 'ii' as installed

dpkg -s shows installed and configured properly.

dpkg -reconfigure-php4 says 'not installed or not a deb conf package'

I did have trouble installing the two packages together. I assumed this
was because php4-mysql would naturally complain until php4 is set-up so
the packages ended up with dpkg iU.  Apt showed:

Rotated `/etc/apache/httpd.conf' at Tue Mar  5 17:28:37 PST 2002.
Rotated `/etc/apache/srm.conf' at Tue Mar  5 17:28:37 PST 2002.
Restart Apache now? [Y/n] Y
/usr/sbin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
dpkg: error processing php4 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 3
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of php4-mysql:
 php4-mysql depends on php4 (= 4.0.3pl1-0potato3); however:
  Package php4 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing php4-mysql (--configure):
 php4
 php4-mysql

so I ran deselect and configured unconfigured packages; chose the
defaults.  I believe they were something like 'do you want to load
mysql.so y/N I chose no.  I believe this is correct since I'm installing
this stuff on a mysql database server.  The php module was loaded into
httpd.conf and apache -t says ok.

the actual question:  if I didn't get a default php.ini file from the
install script, can I copy one from another server and use it in it's
place or will it not read the file?

Man this s*** makes me nervous cause I have to migrate this site but I
can't test it nor services till I cut over dns.

Thanks for any help. justin