Re: PPP DNS Problem

    "John" == John Shepherd <jshep@yahoo.com> writes:

    John> I can ping the remote IP number successfully.  When I
    John> attempt to ping a server by name, it just hangs.  I am able
    John> to 'telnet' to one rutgers server by ip number only as well.
    John> Lynx is unable to browse any webpages by named
    John> URL. /etc/resolv.conf has two nameserver entries and I have
    John> verified with my ISP (rutgers university) that they are
    John> correct.  Unfortunately, the person at the help

John,

A couple of things to try, since it sounds like your name service is
what is down. What are the contents of /etc/host.conf? They should
read like:

order hosts,bind
multi on

Are you running bind locally? If you are, don't ;-)

Finally, try using dig to resolve a name (like 'dig www.yahoo.com')
and see where it sends the query. Can you ping that address?

Cheers!
Shyamal