Re: PPP DNS Problem

John Shepherd(jshep@yahoo.com) is reported to have said:
> Hi,
>
>       I've been making some progress with this
> first attempt at GNU/Linux and am really learning
> a lot.  I have hit a bit of a problem with
> getting an internet connection going, though.  I
> hope someone can help.

Thats what this list is for!
>       I seem to be succesfully making a PPP
> connection with wvdial. (I haven't got x-windows
> going yet, so everything is from command line
> interface).  The PPP connection with wvdial gets
> going seemingly fine, and I switch to another
> logon session with alt-F2.  At that point
> ifconfig shows the ppp0 entry and its looking
> good.  There is a local IP number and a remote IP
> number.
Sounds right.  Would help if you post its contents tho.
Saves guessing.
>       I can ping the remote IP number
> successfully.  When I attempt to ping a server by
> name, it just hangs.  I am able to 'telnet' to
> one rutgers server by ip number only as well.
> Lynx is unable to browse any webpages by named
> URL.
Tharts Weird!
>       /etc/resolv.conf has two nameserver entries
> and I have verified with my ISP (rutgers
> university) that they are correct.
> Unfortunately, the person at the help desk I
> spoke with there stated that they "do not support
> linux" so I wasn't able to get any further help
> from him.  I can't believe rutgers really doesn't
> support linux, so I will be pursuing that
> further.
Usually means "We only support Microsoft (because we have a cheat
sheet to fix Windows problems) and there are too many Linux Dists to
clutter my mind with"
>       In any event, I would appreciate any
> suggestions for other places I may need to change
> configurations.  I think I'm almost there.....
> (for now, at least.  I'll probably be back to try
> to figure out why x-server won't start after I
> get this one licked).

John

1.  To get help you will find that starting a new thread works
better than hi-jacking someone elses thread.

2.  As there are 3 current versions of Debian, we may need to know which
one you are using to be able to help you. Do less /etc/debian_version.

Ok, to your problem.  If you can do everything using IP's and not host
names, it is a DNS problem.  Weird that lynx works tho....
What is in /etc/host.conf?  It should look like this

order hosts,bind
multi on

Post the contents of /etc/resolv.conf

Did you install a DNS server (bind or pdnsd)?  If so, they may be
misconfigured.

I would suggest that, unless you have some pressing need for wvdial,
you install pppconfig.  It works great and is very easy to set up.
--
Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and
used.