Re: Smart Debian Backup?

hi ya

if you move all your config and isntall db files to known
directories..

and if you descipline yourself and your users to put data only
into /usr/local  or /home....  than you're all set...

just backup /etc and /home and /usr/local...
( everything else "should have been installed from cdrom" )

and if you wanna backup pending emails etc..etc..
	more stuff to look in /var/*...

- problem is people put stuff where they like...
- some packages still put stuff in what they consider the "right place"
  which may or may not be what you consider the "right place"

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-Backup.net

simplified deb backup should be something like:

	- save it
	- dpkg --get-selections * > /mnt/floppy/backup.pkg.lst
		- backup user tweeked files

	- build your new box from cdrom or floppy

	- restore it
	dpkg --set-selections < /mnt/floppy/backup.pkg.lst
	apt-get update
       	apt-get dist-upgrade
		- restore your user tweeked files