Re: OT: Aliens in the heavans (was Re: seti@home)

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 19:01, Matt Garman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 03:24:32AM -0500, Chris Jenks wrote:
> > Forgetting all of the rest of your email, if you were an alien,
> > would you want to contact this planet, just based off your first
> > paragraph?
> >
> > Chris
> > ps I'm not looking for a flame war, just pointing out that the
> > signals that we are sending out there are not worth replying
> > to.
>
> Well, if the aliens managed to perservere despite a significantly
> lower lower quality of life than ours, then they might certainly be
> interested in our media.  It seems possible that an alien civilization
> could be completely barbaric (constantly warring, anarchy) and yet be
> technologically advanced (enough to send/receive galactic messages).
> Those aliens might look at us and say, wow, that planet gets by with
> only 75% barbarianism!
>
> Disclaimer: I do love to read sci-fi :)

Seems to me that all that warring and anarchy on a completely barbaric
planey would exauhst all the time/imagination/resources.  Would they
want to spend resources on inter-stellar research, when they could be
spending it trying to destroy the enemy?

How OT are we now???

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements  |
|  and make them into big productions."                      |