I killed X11 (potato-to-woody)

So I'm in some very deep trouble. I upgraded Xfree86 to the 4.1 level in
potato without making a debian package. Then, when I tried to install xine
from the testing tree I hosed the system. I have now done a complete
system upgrade to testing and everything works except X11 (a big exception).
When I try to use XFree86 -configure I get alot of unresolved symbols from
modules in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules.

Does anyone have a good idea of how to uninstall and reinstall Xfree86.
Here is a summary of the dumb and exceptionally dumb things I've done.

1. Installing 4.1 straight from a tar ball into potato
2. When the upgrade into testing failed because of files already existing
in /etc/X11 I simply whiped it clean
3. I've uninstalled and reinstalled task-x-windows-core. What happened then
was a hybrid system. When I tried to run gdm, xinit or startx (all the same
really) 3.3.6 would try to start with a 4.1 config file.

What I want is to remove every vestige of 3.6 and install a clean 4.1 deb
package.

Art Edwards