Re: How can I remove xdm?

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 02:13:57AM +0100, Francisco M. Marzoa Alonso wrote:
| Hi there,
|
| I want remove xdm package so I'm not using it (I've remove all links related
| in all runlevels, but I don't need this using hard disk for more). But if I
| try an apt-get remove xdm it also removes x-window-system... why? I think
| this is a bit stupid...

Nah, "x-window-system" isn't a real package.  It is an empty package
that exists merely to depend on a bunch of other packages that will be
useful if you want to run X.  You can remove the 'x-window-system'
package and nothing will happen, apart from freeing up a couple
kilobytes of disk space.  Those empty "task" packages don't exist in
woody anyways -- they've been replaced by the "tasksel" program that
is more intuitive (or so I've heard) and works better than the old
mechanism.  (one problem with the old mechanism is it isn't wholly
reversible -- you install the "x-window-system" task package and get a
whole bunch of stuff installed, however removing "x-window-system"
doesn't remove anything)  Your confusion is one other reason for
replacing the "task" packages with 'tasksel'.

HTH,
-D

--

Even youths grow tired and weary,