Re: OT: Aliens in the heavans (was Re: seti@home)

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 07:30, John Hasler wrote:
> Tom Cook writes:
> > Actually electromagnetic radiation falls off inversely with distance,...
>
> Field intensity is inversely proportional to distance.  Power density is
> inversly proportional to the square of distance (and power is, of course,
> what we can actually detect).
>
> > ...since no-one has yet devised an antenna which radiates very
> > well in all directions...
>
> That's completely irrelevant.
>
> > The direction of propagation is perpendicular to the direction of motion
> > of the exciting charges (aren't they exciting?  ;-) and so the wave
> > propagates in the horizontal plane (assuming that your antenna is
> > oriented that way.
>
> The radiation propagates in all directions (though the intensity varies
> around the antenna patern).  I think you are confounding polarization and
> propagation.
>
> > I agree with you (except about wave energy density); I believe a 1 MW RF
> > plane radiator is very difficult to demodulate with our technology from
> > the edge of our solar system,...
>
> Just the other day NASA received a response to a signal that they sent to
> Pioneer 10.  It is 22 light-hours out and has a low-gain antenna and a
> transmitter power of a few watts.

Isn't that incredible?  Maybe slide-rules and armies of women on
adding machines is worth something after all...

According to newscientist.com, the _reply_ came in 22h 6 min, so it
would be 11 light-hours out.

Still, 24*365 = 8,760, so a 10 light-year star is 87,600 l-h away.
That's 7,964x as far away as P10, and given the inverse square law,
imagine how small the power density is.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| 484,246 sq mi are needed for 6 billion people to live, 4   !
! persons per lot, in lots that are 60'x150'.                |
! That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.                  !
! Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.       |