Re: lilo wierdness

James Hughes wrote:

>  Hello:
>
>I have a system dual-booting win98(for kid's games) and debian. The
>debian install basically went over top of a Red Hat install, but
>something wierd happened with lilo. The prompt is truncated:
>
>LILboot:
>
>and no keyboard input is accepted (no "dos", no tab) although if I hold
>down the shift key I get a stream of
>
>boot:
>*Interrupted*
>
>on the screen.
>
>I know that win98 is still bootable, because I ran lilo with the option
>(forget what it is right now) that causes a specific OS to boot one time
>on the subsequent reboot. I guess I did something wrong when I installed
>lilo on the debian install (didn't uninstall the RedHat's lilo correctly
>or something) but I'm confused as to how to fix it. My idea was to run
>the dos MBR program (which clobbers the master boot record where lilo is
>installed, I think)boot debian from a floppy and rerun lilo. Am I on the
>right track?
>
>btw, lilo.conf has "prompt" and "delay=50". Here's the relevant entries:
>
>image=/boot/vmlinuz
>label=Linux
>alias=1
>
>other=/dev/hda1
>label=dos
>table=/dev/hda
>alias=2
>
>Thanks,
>A lilo non-expert.

It might be possible that lilo didn't load into memory properly. try removing lilo via lilo -U
in Linux or remove it via fdisk/mbr in MS-DOG. then re-run lilo.

Not to undermine lilo's effectiveness, but I'd suggest you consider GRUB to be your
bootloader. Aside from the fact that it is more feature-laced, in the long run it spares you
a lot of headaches when it comes to updating the kernel. And it can boot multiple distros and
OS's, either by multi-part boot (like in the Hurd), loading the compressed kernel image (Linux),
or by chainloading (as in Windows).

    --> paolo

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com