lilo wierdness

 Hello:

I have a system dual-booting win98(for kid's games) and debian. The debian install basically went over top of a Red Hat install, but something wierd happened with lilo. The prompt is truncated:

LILboot:

and no keyboard input is accepted (no "dos", no tab) although if I hold down the shift key I get a stream of

boot:
*Interrupted*

on the screen.

I know that win98 is still bootable, because I ran lilo with the option (forget what it is right now) that causes a specific OS to boot one time on the subsequent reboot. I guess I did something wrong when I installed lilo on the debian install (didn't uninstall the RedHat's lilo correctly or something) but I'm confused as to how to fix it. My idea was to run the dos MBR program (which clobbers the master boot record where lilo is installed, I think)boot debian from a floppy and rerun lilo. Am I on the right track?

btw, lilo.conf has "prompt" and "delay=50". Here's the relevant entries:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=Linux
alias=1

other=/dev/hda1