Re: Generic file finder question ..what tool or database

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:25:06PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> If I have the name of a file like xpm.h and want to know what package
> contains it.  And I find that `apt-cache search xpm.h' doesn't know
> about it.
>
> And dpkg -S xpm.h doesn't either
>
> I'm assuming that means it isn't here but might be in a
> package in the distro on line somewhere.
>
> Where is the database with this kind of information?
> search.debian.org isn't the right place I don't think
>
> One can compile a (rough) list of all file names in the install with:
> Something like:
> dpkg -L $(dpkg -l|awk '{gsub(/^..../,"",$0);print $1}')
>
> And with a little script, print the package name on each line too.
>
> But where is a database that contains that kind of information for all
> packages in a distribution? That is, a list of all the file names in
> all the packages of a distribution.

there's http://packages.debian.org/<search-string-here> which
may help. see newbieDoc.sf.net/system/apt-get-intro.html (items
7 and 12, specifically) for more ideas...

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 2.2;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #98 from Joost Kooij <joost@topaz.mdcc.cx>
:
Curious about your NETWORK TRAFFIC? There's iptraf, showtraf,
netwatch, tcpview, statnet, and tcpdump, which uses its own
filters from the specification you give it on the command line:
	tcpdump host foo
	tcpdump not port ssh
	tcpdump port 53
	tcpdump arp