Re: Debian package system; some questions :)

* I.J.W. Wever (I.J.W.Wever@student.tnw.tudelft.nl) [020305 10:39]:
> Hi list,
>
> I've recently installed Debian2.2r5 from a mounted file system
> (my windows disk): /mnt/hda5/dl/Linux/dists
>
> In that directory I have directories /stable and /potato, which are
> identical
> and both contain all available binaries for a 386 system (for some reason
> the install program seemed to need this). I've been playing around with
> dselect somewhat, always using that location as source.
>
> I downloaded the .debs for Kernel2.4.18, glibc2.2.5, and XFree4.1.0 and
> want to install these. Now my question: Where is the best place to put them,
> how can I easily add them to the dselect 'source path' and do these package
> have inherent dependencies that ensure me that the previous kernel, glibc
> and Xfree are uninstalled?

kernel packages of different versions can coexist peacefully. The
postinstall script will set the newly-installed kernel to the default on
the next boot, and the old one should be available by typing LinuxOLD on
the LILO prompt.

Upgrading glibc will upgrade damn near everything else on your system.

X 4.x packages can also coexist with X3.x, at least to some degree, but
I'd recommend just removing your old X packages after installing the new
ones.

As for your questions about where to put the packages and stuff -- do
you not have a good fast connection? If you can afford to do network
installs, it will make keeping up with new packages for security updates
and the like much easier. Then you can just ad some deb http lines in
your /etc/apt/sources.list and be merry.

The reason I suggest that is that if you can do that, your best bet is
probably to upgrade your apt and dpkg to the testing versions (it wil
require you to upgrade a few other packages as well) and set up an
/etc/apt/preferences file. Then you can mix 'n match packages from
stable, testing, unstable to your heart's delight. You don't have to
store packages from any distro anywhere; they're always right there in
the archive available from the net.

If you don't have a good network connection that you can use for apt,
I think it's a long, hard road ahead. You'll end up having to fetch and
install many, many packages manually to keep up with dependencies. It'll
be just like running redhat. =)

If this is a pretty isolated occurrence, though, and you do want to just
have a few packages from unstable and the rest from stable, and you want
to go ahead and manually download packages as necessary, your best bet
is probably to set up a local file package repository. Here's how I have
it done:

I keep all the packages in
/usr/local/src/debian-local/dists/local/binary-i386
create a symlink to /dev/null in that directory called override.local.gz
create a script called something like update-local-debarchive that goes
like this:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/src/debian-local

dpkg-scanpackages dists/local/binary-i386 \
dists/local/binary-i386/override.local.gz \
| gzip -c > dists/local/binary-i386/Packages.gz
#EOF

Run that script any time you add a package to your local archive.

And add a line in your /etc/apt/sources.list that looks like this:
deb file://usr/locla/src/debian-local local .

Then after you update, dselect and apt will know about the packages in
your local archive just like the ones on the official debian archives
(http, ftp, cdrom). I use this system to maintain packages that I build
locally, like kernel-images and specially-patched packages, or
debianized external sources.

I hope that was sorta what you were looking for (or that it might at
least help someone else reading it =)

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/