configuring cups and lpd

Hi there,
Could anyone please tell me if this is wrong: (BTW I am running Woody with a 2.4.16 kernel fwiw) I have installed all the cups software server and client but the lpd daemon is still running. Further I have slpd running too. My printer is well supported (Epson stylus color 440) and although I did manage to get it working once, this was direct to the parallel port. I used the web interface so:
name = espson
location = //localhost
device = parallel port 1
make = epson
model= stylus 440 CUPS+GIMP-print

Now if I send a job say in Abiword to 'LP' it prints, if I accept the default 'LPR' I get pages of gibberish. also if I try and print a postscript file in ghostview (cd cover produced by cdlabelgen) I get gibberish too.

I think I am bypassing the lpd spooler queue. So should I be sending the job to device = LPD/LPR Host or printer and then entering a device URI such as lpd://localhost ? Or should I not have the lpd and slpd daemons installed/running? Any help appreciated.

Regards
Wayne.