Re: Proc shows mounted, but act like it isn't

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 10:17, Blunier, Mark wrote:
> When I run ps as root, it hangs.  When I run mount, it shows
> proc is mounted, but I cant remount it, and I can mount it a
> second time.  After I mount it the second time, then things
> work as usual.

Ummm yeah... this is a problem that was covered a few weeks back.
Basically they never figured out what was happeneing or why it was
happening.  All they did was force a remount of proc.  Acctually I take
that back, I think they said that it was because there was an old image
of the proc fs that had some how gotten copied over onto the mount point
statically.  That was they it looked mounted but wasnt.  I think they
said it might have something to do with /etc and mtab being read only.
In that case mount would look at /proc/mounts and see that proc was
mounted because of the problem stated above and not try to remount it.
Or atleast that is what I remember about it.  Maybe you want to unmount
proc and delect everything inside of it to make sure this doesnt happen
again.  In anycase I dont know if it is as much a bug as much as it is a
quirk.  I hope I answered your question more than I confused you.

--
-Scott Henson

shenson2@wvu.edu