Proc shows mounted, but act like it isn't

I've got 2 machines, one running Woody, one running
Sid show that proc is mount, but act like it isn't mounted.
running ps as a user:

	user@linuxbox:~$ ps
	Error: /proc must be mounted
	  To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
	      /proc   /proc   proc    defaults
	  In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc

When I run ps as root, it hangs.  When I run mount, it shows
proc is mounted, but I cant remount it, and I can mount it a
second time.  After I mount it the second time, then things
work as usual.

	linuxbox:~# mount
	/dev/hda2 on / type reiserfs (rw)
	proc on /proc type proc (rw)
	linuxbox:~# ps
	linuxbox:~# mount proc /proc -t proc -o remount
	mount: /proc not mounted already, or bad option
	linuxbox:~# mount proc /proc -t proc
	linuxbox:~# mount proc /proc -t proc -o remount

I'm running a 2.4.17 kernel, but I get the same results with
a 2.4.12 kernel.  Any ideas as to the cause?

Mark
Any opinions expressed in this message are not necessarily those of the company.