Re: Generic file finder question ..what tool or database

Harry Putnam wrote:
> If I have the name of a file like xpm.h and want to know what package
> contains it.  And I find that `apt-cache search xpm.h' doesn't know
> about it.
>
> And dpkg -S xpm.h doesn't either

I'm not sure about this, but don't you have to give the complete path, so

dpkg -S /path/to/xpm/h

> I'm assuming that means it isn't here but might be in a
> package in the distro on line somewhere.
>
> Where is the database with this kind of information?
> search.debian.org isn't the right place I don't think

but,
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages#search_contents
is ...

> One can compile a (rough) list of all file names in the install with:
> Something like:
> dpkg -L $(dpkg -l|awk '{gsub(/^..../,"",$0);print $1}')
>
> And with a little script, print the package name on each line too.
>
> But where is a database that contains that kind of information for all
> packages in a distribution? That is, a list of all the file names in
> all the packages of a distribution.

If you really want lists of files, I think there in

/var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list

grts Tim