X not starting properly in woody

Hi all, I was running a fully updated 2.2r3
system and I dist-upgraded to woody (testing)
yesterday. I ran apt-get --fix-broken
--show-upgraded dist-upgrade and everything
installed without a hitch except one: xdm didn't
install and no longer runs when I boot and when I
run X I get the grey background with the 'x'
mouse pointer but nothing else. the X server just
sits there. I am able to move the mouse pointer
and I am able to switch between local terminals
so I know the system didn't hang. I get no menus,
no xterms, and worst of all: no error messages!
Has the startup script for X changed? I used to
use .xsession and .xinitrc and those are still
intact. How do I get X up and running? Are there
any packages not installed by dist-upgrade? Do I
need to re-install packages one by one? if so,
which ones? there are quite alot of them to
search thru in the package directory. I read the
release notes and found good information about
upgrading from a pre-2.0 debian system but
nothing concerning X not starting.
I'm stumped. this is the first time I have had
trouble installing a debian system Any help will
be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!!!

xucaen