Are debian packages linked against the latest libraries?

Hello,
I'm not a debian user, but I have a question regarding
the 'testing' and 'unstable' branches.
Are the packages there dynamically linked against the
latest versions of other packages?
For example if I install today the current snapshot of

the 'testing' branch. Then for 2 months I don't update
(download) any packages. Then I find out vim 6.1 is
out.
In the meantime newer versions of glibc (say 2.2.5)
and perl (say 5.602) were released. Assuming vim
(gvim)
is dynamically linked against glibc and perl (though
it
doesn't need their latest version), will apt-get must
download the newer versions of glibc and perl.
Obviously for applications (say gnome 2 when it is
released) requires newer libraries (gtk2) I understand
the neccessaty, but in the previous example (vim) the
downloading of the 20Mb+ files is not necessary.

Thanks