Re: Is the network setup incorrect?

Once upon a time LPH (lph@tuxreports.com) wrote:

   > Hello,
   >
   > Please pardon my ignorance, I've only been using Libranet 2.0 for only a few weeks ... and just starting to feel comfortable with my ignorance :-)
   >
   > I set up the box so that it has an IP address (192.168.x.x) and subnet.  It is connected to the hub and sees the squid proxy server.  In fact, I can use web browsers by setting the proxy server to the correct IP address and port (within the applications).
   >
   > However, apt-get, XChat, Gaim, and many others are not working properly. So do I have the Libranet settings wrong or the squid proxy server set wrong?
   >
   > Maybe there is an easier way to have apt-get operate properly?  Is there anyone using this mailing list that has squid on one machine and Libranet on another.  Maybe you could share your setup.
   >
   > Specifically, I'm looking for information on man pages, HOWTOs, maybe example configurations ... anything to help me figyre out which files should be manually edited.  Also, maybe Xadminmenu isn't set up properly?

I am not the best expert but it seems to me that you might have a
router to connect to the net, the router is configured to let www go
thru (port 80), the other ports seem to be restricted. apt-get uses
different ways to connect (I think) using ftp or wget, so most likely
the ftp port (21) is blocked, irc uses port 6667 and I am not sure
about gaim.
if I am right about the router thing then you need to configure it to
allow some ports to be directed to your Linux box.

I hope this helps

Ayman