Is the network setup incorrect?

Hello,

Please pardon my ignorance, I've only been using Libranet 2.0 for only a few weeks ... and just starting to feel comfortable with my ignorance :-)

I set up the box so that it has an IP address (192.168.x.x) and subnet.  It is connected to the hub and sees the squid proxy server.  In fact, I can use web browsers by setting the proxy server to the correct IP address and port (within the applications).

However, apt-get, XChat, Gaim, and many others are not working properly. So do I have the Libranet settings wrong or the squid proxy server set wrong?

Maybe there is an easier way to have apt-get operate properly?  Is there anyone using this mailing list that has squid on one machine and Libranet on another.  Maybe you could share your setup.

Specifically, I'm looking for information on man pages, HOWTOs, maybe example configurations ... anything to help me figyre out which files should be manually edited.  Also, maybe Xadminmenu isn't set up properly?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

-- LPH