Installing with a non-standard kernel

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right list for this
question, but here it goes:

I'm trying to install debian 2.2r5 in an "Acer Altos
600" server, but I run into a problem.

The server has an aic-7899 scsi adapter, and the aic-
7xxx driver in the standard kernel that comes with the
distribution seems to be buggy, so it hangs during the
instalation.

I compiled a new kernel with an updated driver, and put
it into a floppy with 'make bzdisk'. Now my problem
is: how to use this kernel during the instalation
process? Maybe boot from the instalation cd and give
some parameters at 'lilo' prompt?

Thanks in advance.