Re: rc.local equivalent

"Karl E. Jorgensen" wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 08:39:29PM -0800, Xeno Campanoli wrote:
> > Say, is there a catchall equivalent in Debian of the rc.local file?
> > Once again I'm trying to interpret a recommendation from the TrinityOS
> > HOWTO on setting up security.  He suggests putting:
> >
> >       dmesg >> /etc/info/dmesg
> >
> > at the end of the rc.local file, which presumably executes last in a
> > RedHat system.  Is there a better way to accomplish this anyway.
>
> Early into the boot, debian does something similar
> (/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh) and stores the output in /var/log/dmesg.
>
> I haven't read the TrinityOS HOWTO (nor do I know redhat), but unless
> they need the "later image" of dmesg, this might do the trick for you.

Idonno.  He's also recommending a constant append of these suckers so
you have them all from all your old reboots.  On the other hand, is main
reasoning is that you lose the top end gradually on a machine that stays
up for a long time, which I've seen before, and you don't need all the
old ones if that's all you're trying to accomplish.  Anyway, at least
I'm writing the two files in the same place (/var/log/latterdmesg.log
I'm calling the new one).  The /etc/info area doesn't really seem right
for it anyway.  That kindof thing, to my mind, really goes on /var.

Thanks for the feedback.