Re: Getting Handspring Pilot Setup

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 09:59:26AM -0500, John S. J. Anderson wrote:
> c) I couldn't get 'coldsync' (from unstable) to work properly; it
>    would either give errors or seg fault. jpilot did work, however, so
>    if you have coldsync issues, you might want to give it a try.

Nice to see I'm not the only person that has trouble with coldsync.  The
segfaults are hard enough to figure out that I haven't filed a bug about
it, but I've found a few things to be the case here:

1) run it from the command line, or a menu entry, it segfaults after the
   sync.
2) build the modules into the kernel, it works.
3) build everything as modules, except for usbcore, and it segfaults after
   the sync.
4) build everything as modules, *including* usbcore, and let hotplug run
   it... it works.

It used to oops the kernel for me pretty regularly too... the oops made it
look like it was having trouble with the device disconnect, like it was
still trying to talk to the device even after the kernel had tried to
remove the module (I have hotplug remove visor.o after the sync).  The
module would never actually get removed... the usage count would just keep
incrementing. ^_^

I got around the oops by making usbcore a module.

Well, I dunno if "got around it" is the proper term... I made it a module
and the problem hasn't come back.

--
Marc Wilson
msw@cox.net