Re: graphical file managers (gmc vs. nautilus)

Howdy,
> I tried KDE about six months ago and I went back to gnome because I like
> the ability to configure everything to the pixel (enlightenment) and I
> couldn't get KDE to display icons (some pixmap problem).

  Hrm... that's odd.

> Thanks for the suggestion, though.  Maybe it's time to try KDE again.

  You might find it worth while. Really, you could make it look virtually
like unthemed Gnome using the QT-Motif widget style (or most other GTK-looks,
KDE can even import some GTK themes), and since KDE has IceWM theme
compatiblity plugin, you could use one of the E-like IceWM themes for your
window decorations if you wished. Although IMO, KDE themed with Liquid (sorta
like Aqua is nicer looking). You can see
http://www.uninetsolutions.com/tbutler/linux/ss1.html for screenshots of both
a Motif and Liquid-themed KDE.

   Anyway, if you decide to give it a spin, download KDE from Sid rather than
Woody, Woody's KDE is an odd mix of KDE 2.1.1 and 2.2.2 that is rather buggy.
Also it's not out yet, but keep in mind KDE 3.0 is a bit nicer in many areas.

  -Tim

Timothy R. Butler                    tbutler@uninetsolutions.com
Universal  Networks                       http://www.uninet.info
Christian Portal and Search Tool:       http://www.faithtree.com