SoundBlaster Live!, /dev/audio, and bad sound quality

Greetings, all.

New sound card (actually, new computer).  It's a SoundBlaster Live!, so
I've compiled in support for the emu10k1 module.

Up-to-date potato, kernel 2.2.20, SMP.

In general, everything works fine, except that sending .au files to
/dev/audio has really lousy sound quality.  You can hear the sound, but
there's a loud hissing or static sound on top of it.  I had this
behavior both with emu10k1 v0.7 included with the 2.2.20 source, and
emu10k1 v0.18 that I just downloaded from SourceForge.  I tried playing
with various mixer settings, but that didn't help.  The only way I could
get rid of the hissing was by turning the volume all the way down.

Other sound operations, like playing MP3s or WAVs in xmms, work fine; no
hissing or static at all.  (I only tried this with v0.18 of the driver,
though.)

I don't know that many things use /dev/audio any more, so this isn't
that big a deal, but I'd like to get this working---especially because I
typically use english.au from www.kernel.org to test the sound system
after I change things.  Nice, easy, and short.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Richard