Re: Everything about Sendmail is Slow
- To: Debian User <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: Everything about Sendmail is Slow
- From: "Eric G. Miller" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 14:31:05 -0800
- Message-id: <20020302223105.GA9204@calico.local>
- Mail-followup-to: Debian User <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <001001c1c22a$06088080$0a0a0a0a@gimp>
- References: <001001c1c22a$06088080$0a0a0a0a@gimp>
On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 12:37:08PM -0800, Dave Scott wrote:
> Hi, I got a server with 30 users on it, Mailman with 7 listservs going.
> Debain 2.2, Kernel 2.2.17, Sendmail 8.9.3-21
> For some reason, just the past few days, users have complained of
> slowness of up to a few minutes to send out mail.
> If I log in and try to check the mailq, it responds with what is in the
> mailq but only after a minute or two.
> The mailq always responded before within a second or two.
> All mail seems to be processed, but only after a delay.
> So, it seems Sendmail is busy doing something and cannot respond fast,
> yet no one is sending mail at the time(that I know of) and the rest of
> the box seems snappy.
My first guess would be to look at DNS resolution. It has the symptoms
of slow host lookups.
Eric G. Miller <firstname.lastname@example.org>