cdrecord + ide cdrw

HI
    Under redhat i was able to use my cdrw. In debian when i type
cdrecord -scanbus
it comes back with
spaceport:/home/davidr# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
root.
spaceport:/home/davidr#

I am root. what do i have to do to get it my cdrw working again ? or can you
point to some documents that will help me work it out

david