Re: Why Debian?

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 09:20:50AM +0200, Johan van der Walt wrote:
> My question then is: what makes Debian GNU/Linux different so that I
> should use it rather than any of the other distributions? Is Linux not
> just Linux? From a scientific point of view I use IRAF and that comes
> with Debian which is something I like. However, that certainly cannot
> be the only reason for using Debian.

As a non-technical user, I find the package management and
dependency checking one of the best features of Debian. It suits my
politics and this list is the best source of information you will ever

I used Red Hat (six months) and Slackware (one year) before
switching to Debian and I don't see any reason to change.

For some time there was a complaint by new users that there was
insufficient user-friendly documentation but with Bill McCarty's book on
basics, and Paul Sheer's book for slightly more experienced users, that
plaint is no longer valid.

Check http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/debian/chapter/index.html and
http://rute.sourceforge.net for the books mentioned above.

Sam Varghese
Linux and all free software is not about the smell of money but the
improvement of community