RE: Network install of woody or sid via potato (was Re: Enough ti me wasted, moving on)

> A couple of posters have mentioned a network install.  Where are the
> details spelled out?  Are we talking installing from a running
> machine? Already network enabled?  My situation is that I have 2
> desktops before me.  A full well used redhat 7.1 on one machine and A
> solaris x86 on another.  The solaris (intel) has a second disk that
> had a skeleton install of Redhat on it before I began my adventures.
>
> I wanted to install Woody in its place.  So with a network install how
> would I proceed?  I mean in general. Not a detailed account.  I'll
> find and read any documentation I need.  Pointers would be nice though.
>
> I wouldn't mind the install being very basic for quite some time.
> Long as it is network ready.  Don't really care about X either.  At
> least not immediately.

My preferred method, and I've used it twice in recent days, is to unplug
from the network before the finish of the install. The program crashes out
with a minimal install. Then I do these steps;

plug the network back in
edit '/etc/apt/sources.list' and change the word 'stable' to 'woody' on the
line to be used
apt-get update -- gets the latest package info
apt-get install apt dpkg apt-utils -- update these packages first
apt-get dist-upgrade -- may get some errors - just go to next step
apt-get -f install -- force the upgrade that didn't work from above

Works for me, your mileage may vary.