Re: x-forwarding with ssh

A couple of comments.

1. If you have root access on the server machine, you can edit the ssh_config
and sshd_config files to turn on X11Forwarding. You should also do that on your
machine.

If this is done, I have had it the case that X forwarding has not required
setting up the DISPLAY  variable. In other cases I have had to. I really don't
understand why these are sometimes different.

2. In the reply below, it is assumed that you are using the bash shell. For
those of us that prefer tcsh (or csh) the DISPLAY command is

setenv DISPLAY server.machine.edu:0

The :0 simply gives access to the root window on your machine.