Re: Help with missing /boot/boot.b

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 09:32:15AM -0400, Liam Black wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posted a message to this list awhile ago because the hard drive that was
> mounted to /boot, and which contained boot.b, had decided to go to the big
> drive bay in the sky. I was told that recompiling my kernel might solve the
> problem, but didn't get a chance to get around to it until last night.
>
> I did make menuconfig, make dep, make bzImage, make-kpkg kernel_image, dpkg
> -i kernel_image.
>
> It goes fine until it gets to the Lilo configuration bit. At that point,
> whether I'm using my existing lilo.conf or creating a new one, it errors me
> out. When I look at the log, it tells me that lilo couldn't find
> /boot/boot.b (well, yea) and that I should manually edit my lilo.conf. Is
> there a step or a flag or something that I'm missing, here?

I didn't catch the earlier post or reply about recompiling the kernel.

I had a similar problem recently with a hard drive failure.  I run a
dual-boot box with Windows on hda and Debian on hdd. I had /boot
created at the beginning of the failed disk (hda).  When I installed a
new drive and recreated /boot at the beginning, I couldn't get lilo to
work any more.  I was trying to use my Potato installation cd to make the
disk bootable again, and the installer bombed out every time.  Booting
from floppy and running /sbin/lilo as root bombed out with error
messages about missing /boot/boot.b.

I solved my problem by going root, firing up dselect, and uninstalling
lilo, then reinstalling it.  During package installation, I was
prompted with a couple of questions, and when done, lilo was working
again, with a proper /boot/boot.b file in /boot.  All I had to do
after this was tweak /etc/lilo.conf so I could boot my legacy
Windows installation, and I was done.  No kernel recompile was
necessary.

Sorry if this isn't relevant to your situation, as I said, I don't
recall your earlier post, or why you were advised to recompile.
Good luck.

Cordially,
Mark S. Reglewski