Re: The Custom Kernel that Wouldn't Boot.

* Timothy R. Butler (tbutler@uninetsolutions.com) spake thusly:
> Hi everyone,
>   I've been trying to compile a custom kernel to use the Linux Progress Patch
> Gordon Fraser was nice to provide me with, and also to optimize the kernel
> for my Pentium II processor.
>
>   However, I seem to have a kernel that refuses to boot. Once it starts the
> frame buffer, it simple quits doing anything (this is the case with or
> without the Linux Progress Patch.

Yesterday I found out that kernel won't load if there's an error
in video mode spec: I had rgba line in /etc/fb.modes that worked
with 2.4.10, but 2.4.18 refused to load until I commented the
line out.

Try compiling framebuffer as a module. Remove "video=" from
lilo.conf, try booting. If it boots, modprobe framebuffer
driver and use fbset to change video mode. Pay attention to
error messages. Once you find the mode that works, recompile
with framebuffer built-in and put the "video=" back into
lilo.conf.

Of course, if it refuses to boot without fb, the problem is
somewhere else.

Dima
--
Yes, Java is so bulletproofed that to a C programmer it feels like being in a
straightjacket, but it's a really comfy and warm straightjacket, and the world