Re: OT: "creating" an internal DNS entry

Alex Malinovich wrote:

> I'm having a bit of a problem with my NAT setup here. I've got a machine
> running NAT for the rest of the computers on the LAN to get internet
> access. The NAT server (bigbrother) forwards ports 143 and 25 (IMAP and
> SMTP) to my mail server (gandalf). This works fine for outside
> connections, and connecting directly to gandalf works fine internally.
> However, if I try to connect to mail.the-love-shack.net from BEHIND the
> NAT box, the connection never gets made. Apparently, ports don't get
> forwarded from internal connections. This isn't a big problem for the
> most part, but it makes accessing my mail from my laptop a pain in the
> rear end. Having to open up Evolution and reconfigure the mail settings
> each time I leave or come back home is really annoying. The first idea
> that comes to mind is coming up with some way to create an entry for
> "mail.the-love-shack.net" in my LOCAL Forward Lookup zone that points to
> "gandalf" leaving the EXTERNAL entry for mail.the-love-shack.net intact.
> Is there any way to do this, or is there a better way to go about
> solving this problem? TIA

If you're running bind 9, you can use views for this - the external view
points mail.the-love-shack.net to bigbrother, while the internal view
points it to gandalf.

Richard

--
I'm currently looking for work; see my Curriculum Vitae here:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~rhector/cv.html