OT: "creating" an internal DNS entry

I'm having a bit of a problem with my NAT setup here. I've got a machine
running NAT for the rest of the computers on the LAN to get internet
access. The NAT server (bigbrother) forwards ports 143 and 25 (IMAP and
SMTP) to my mail server (gandalf). This works fine for outside
connections, and connecting directly to gandalf works fine internally.
However, if I try to connect to mail.the-love-shack.net from BEHIND the
NAT box, the connection never gets made. Apparently, ports don't get
forwarded from internal connections. This isn't a big problem for the
most part, but it makes accessing my mail from my laptop a pain in the
rear end. Having to open up Evolution and reconfigure the mail settings
each time I leave or come back home is really annoying. The first idea
that comes to mind is coming up with some way to create an entry for
"mail.the-love-shack.net" in my LOCAL Forward Lookup zone that points to
"gandalf" leaving the EXTERNAL entry for mail.the-love-shack.net intact.
Is there any way to do this, or is there a better way to go about
solving this problem? TIA

-Alex