Re: mouse problems after switching to Woody

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 14:52, sam wrote:

> Rather than go into a lot of detail on my problems, I would prefer to get
> a reliable reference to a comprehensive discussion about the installation
> and trouble shooting of mice.  I am currently using Woody (Debian 3.0), a
> ps/2 modem, AMD 500 Mhz cpu -- in other words, nothing very unusual or
> fancy.
>

> If no good reference exists, can some computer science or engineering
> instructor suggest this topic to one of their more adventurous students as
> a term project, or even as a Masters thesis.  By the way, I don't
> understand why many exchanges on the Debian lists refer to unpredictable
> mouse problems from unknown sources:  Are mice and their software really
> stochastic machines, or are those people merely as ignorant as I am
> (which is very)?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Well, without knowing exactly what your problem is, most of the fixes
have been the same - remove gpm because it gets in the way (having both
X and gpm trying to access the mouse simultaneously is bad karma) and
make sure you have the correct device and driver specified in
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

I suspect that anything more serious ends up being a "replace the mouse,
they're cheap" solution, just because it would take more time and money
to troubleshoot and repair than to just buy another one - but that's
just my take on it.