apt logs

Is there anyway to keep a log of what exactly has been upgraded and
installed, and when it was upgraded or installed.  I am just wondering
this because it might be useful if I ever do an upgrade and it screws
everything up.  I am asking now as kind of preventive medicine in case I
do ever screw anything up.  I would like to maybe record the exact
command issued and what was installed because of that command.  Is there
any program or script already able to do this, or am I going to have to
write it myself.  Thankyou for anyhelp.
--
-Scott Henson

shenson2@wvu.edu