Re: from xfs to ext2/ext3

"---" <mikhz@pacific.net.ph> wrote:

>my /usr is currently in xfs.. now, i want to turn it
>back to ext2/ext3... how should i do this?
>
>is cp -a enough? or is there a debian/xfs way to do
>this? tnx

Any method wherein you can shuttle back your data from the XFS partition and back without following
the symlinks would do fine (do cp -a, or tar the data, use mc, whatever...)

Currently there is no non-destructive method (XFS is laid out way different from the scheme implemented
by ext2/ext3 though they both implement inode-structures in the filesystem) of filesystem conversion
for most filesystems except (maybe) ext2 and ext3.

If you'll be using ext3, just don't get the filesystem get near the almost-full capacity. Since ext3 journal
store file metadata and possibly file data too, it grows variably (as opposed to other filesystems which
have a set journal size before it starts growing after some certain point).

XFS is good if you'll use it on 24/7 machines that don't poweroff. Ext3 performs extremely well on
intermittently-powered machines without the filesystem creating a file-hole freak of nature...

Paolo Falcone

www.edsamail.com