Advice on HTML book

Hi,
Please excuse this non-Linux related post.
I am planning to purchase an HTML book that provides good, indepth
explanations of how to use HTML.
I am undecided on these two books

1) "HTML 4 for the World Wide Web" by Elizabeth Castro
2) "HTML: the Complete Reference" Third Edition by Thomas A. Powell

After having skimmed through the table of contents,
the second option seems too gory in the details,
whilst the first contains interesting topics that second
doesn't seem to have. What I don't want to end up with
is a book that has too little information, or a book
that has large amounts of unpleasing to the eye information
scattered all over the place and uses tags rather than
English to get the point accross.

Does anyone own these books?
comments and/or suggestions would be great.
David.