Re: backup solution suggestions

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 09:12:02AM -0800, justin cunningham wrote:
> Hi all, I need to implement a backup solution for web, mail, dns, etc
> and wanted to hear any +/-  thoughts for writing a rsync scripts for
> cron for each server to do a weekly dump followed by daily incrementals
> OR use Amanda for this.  The server (woody), et al are already in place
> and I'm a few days away from getting started with rsync but wondered if
> someone here thought Amanda would be a better bet?-if so; why.  thanks,
> justin

If you're backing up to tape, amanda is great. As long as a single tape
will be enough per filesystem (otherwise you'll have to tweak things).

But.. If you want to backup to something else than tape (e.g. CDs), then
I don't think amanda can help you.
\_| *DISCLAIMER* I do not know exactly what I'm talking about. |
  | Large grains of salt recommended to aid in digestion.      |